5 FUN FACTS ABOUT MOTORCYCLE CLUBS
When you think motorcycle clubs you probably think Hell’s Angels, big hairy scary guys with Harleys, a bad attitude and flocks of women around them wearing patches saying: “Property of Slugger MacGraw” and names like that. That’s only a small percentage (1% in fact)! The rest are very different. Here are 5 things you didn’t know about motorcycle clubs which will change your point of view!
1) There is more than one type of biker club. Because there are the 1%ers, the rest are the 99%ers, which can consist of members of one profession, such as police, firemen’s, soldiers’ and veterans’ clubs.There are also clubs such for various religious groups such as Jewish and Christian ones who ride first then have services afterwards.
2) There is a women’s biker club in India called the Bikerni, which was founded in 2011 by a lady called Urvashi Patole in her early twenties. It was the first ever motorcycle club just for women in the whole of India. Having started with just eleven members, its numbers have now risen to five hundred – and counting! Its aim was not only to empower women but to do charity work across India. They still face the occasional bit of harassment from their male counterparts, but hey – there’s safety in numbers!
3) There is a club called Bikers Against Child Abuse whose sole aim is to protect and stand up for the rights of abused children. Each member is checked by the FBI and has to go through a two-year course to ensure that they are fit to work with children. They liaise with local authorities to empower children who have suffered sexual, physical and mental abuse, rehabilitate them and help them live a normal life. Each child is given two special guardians whose names and numbers they know so that they can call for help at any time.
4) Want to know how old the average motorcycle club rider is? Guess! 24? 28? 34? Not even close! The average age of a biker is 48 years old, and he has a riding career of 24 years behind him. That means that while there may be many teenagers and young adults in the clubs, a fair proportion of these guys are in their 50s, 60s, 70s or even older – and by the way, if you’re a dude-ess, you’ll be one of the 5%ers! These clubs are 95% male!
5) There are lots of biker prayers. Here’s one:
(SOURCED FROM: www.facebook.com/NewMinersvilleFireHouseBikers)
Biker angel be my guide
As I climb upon my scoot to ride
Let your halo lght my way
And keep me safe from harm today
Let your wings provide me wind and air
And send it coursing through my hair
Find me a peaceful sunny place
And let it shine upon my face
Keep the clouds and rain at bay
And keep me dry throughout the day
Watch over my brothers who ride with me
Keep them safe and close to thee
Keep my wheels upon the ground
So I return here safe and sound
But if disaster be my fate
Guide me Lord to Heaven’s gate
If I must join my fallen brethren
Please show me the way to Biker Heaven.